Through the Consortium for Zampone and Cotechino Modena PGI, we have been safeguarding traditional Italian food specialities since 2001, and our mission is to guarantee their high quality and make them known among an ever wider public by:
- uniting and coordinating the most prominent names of excellent Italian charcuterie, engaged in producing these two PGI products;
- safeguarding consumers too, thanks to an attentive market monitoring, in Italy and abroad;
- defending authentic Zampone and Cotechino Modena PGI products from any fraudulent activities;
- promoting Zampone and Cotechino Modena PGI worldwide.
Each company belonging to the Consortium is monitored by an independent body to ensure that the production process takes place in full compliance with product specifications.
This controlling body – IFCQ Certificazioni – carries out inspections of the production process and tests the product according to a control programme approved by the Ministry of Agricultural, Food and Forestry Policies, which supervises the entire supply chain.
THE PGI TRADEMARK
The high quality of Zampone Modena PGI and Cotechino Modena PGI is safeguarded throughout Europe by the well-known registered PGI trademark: “Protected Geographical Indication”.
This prestigious EU trademark certifies the products and safeguards consumers by guaranteeing:
- authenticity of the ancient and traditional recipe (unaltered since 1511) and the strong bond with the area of origin;
- the use of premium quality meat;
- on-going control of production, which must take place in the traditional area of processing indicated in the product specifications;
- the existence of certain characteristics relating to taste, aroma and nutritional facts
REGION OF ORIGIN AND PRODUCERS
The Consortium groups all companies engaged in the production of Zampone Modena and Cotechino Modena: learn more about the protagonists of excellent Italian charcuterie.